Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Weight Problem || Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You know you have a problem when you call Subway and ask how much their subs weigh. For example:

"How much does a 6" chicken terriyaki on honey oat weigh?"

"Well, it’s 370 calories."

"No, I mean how much does it weigh. Like in grams."

"It has 5 grams of fat."

"How about the non-fat parts?"

"Uhhh...."

In case you’ve talked to me in the past 2 months, you know I’m planning on a 40 mileish backpacking trip this weekend as an overnight trip. Sam and I have been planning it since shortly after Christmas. Though we’ve hiked and packed many times together, this is our first trip as subscribers to the ultralight philosophy that you should just leave all the crap at home and get out and hike. For example, my average spring/summer/fall backpack weighs around 35 pounds, and about 45 in the winter. For this trip, I’m down to 19 pounds including food and water. Not counting food and water I’m sitting around 12 pounds (about 2 pounds over my goal of 10 pounds pre-food and water). I’ve been cutting straps off bags, punching holes in ziplock bags to cut weight, and cutting out items left and right. Sam coined the term correctly at lunch today when talking about the plight of ultralight backpacking. We are bulimic backpackers. SO, for posterity’s sake, here’s my gear list for the trip.

Gear List


Category Item Weight (oz)

Bedding Heat pack 2.00

Bedding Sleeping Bag (Summer) 36.00

Bedding Thermarest 31.00

Clothing Gold toe socks 1.00

Clothing Long John Pants synthetic 6.00

Clothing Rain Jacket 24.00

Clothing Sleeveless wicking t 4.00

Clothing Wicking underwear 4.00

Cooking Cookset 8.00

Cooking Fuel (PGA) 8.00

Food Apricots 4.00

Food Beef Jerky 2.00

Food Coffee Filter 2.00

Food Fri. Breakfast 4.00

Food Kashi Bar 5.00

Food Powerade 74.00

Food Powerbar 2.00

Food Powergel 2.00

Food TR. Supper 7.50

Food Trail Mix 10.50

Misc. Camera 11.00

Misc. Flashlight 2.50

Misc. SpotMe 7.00

Pack Advent Pro 35.00

Pack Pack Cover 2.00

Shelter Tent Stakes 4.00

Toiletries 1st Aid Kit 5.50

Toiletries TP and Trowel 3.00



TOTAL:

307 oz (19.19 lbs)

No comments:

Post a Comment