Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 1: Knoxville to Charlotte to Miami

Finally en route, double prop airplane—a Dash 8-300 (that's for Jeff, since he's the only one who would know what that means, me included) heading east over the Smokies towards Charlotte. Take off was at 10am sharp, after sitting on the runway for about 5 minutes of resonant vibrations from the plane's propellers. Take off was a perfect example of what Burroughs described as "naked lunch"—that moment when all artifice is stripped away, when appearance and decorum vanish and all that is left is the proverbial moment of truth. As the frequency of the propellers increases, as the tarmac races past the window, every muscle tenses and doesn't release until the frequency and vibration even out a few thousand feet later. I don't know how anyone--pilot, traveler, businessman—could ever be lulled into routine on ascent.  The flight is sparsely occupied, so I have a row to myself. My seat is directly next to the propellers, so as I type there's a barely discernable strobe effect on my hands, and the blades slice the light coming through my window.

 

In the air, this is the first time I've ever seen the Smokies from above. There's been a dusting of snow that outlines and accentuates the ridges. You can see the powder contrasting the narrow backbone of the mountains against the brown of earth and trees and leaves below.  It's exciting from the air being able to recognize landforms and water bodies I've only seen from a base layer perspective. For me, this trip is going to be a lot about perspective. I tried to sneak a picture through the window, but it just doesn't do any justice.

 

 

The flight to Charlotte is only 45 minutes. We've only been in the air 29 minutes and they're already giving us information on what to do when we disembark.

 


From Charlotte to Miami, I met up with two other people from the program, Jim and John. We packed onto the plane like the proverbial can of sardines. Thankfully, the flight was only and hour and a half, otherwise I still wouldn't be able to bend my elbows.

 

From the airport, the chauffeur picked us up and drove us through downtown Miami to our hotel, the Miami InterContinental, probably the swankest place I've ever stayed in.

 

After a few orientation-type activities, we settled into our rooms and then went to eat at the in-house restaurant, Indigo, where I ate fish for the first time in 25 years. Supper was an awesome rice blend (arroz moros con… it escapes me), Mahi (awesome), salsa chicken, carmelized plantains (no, it is EVEN BETTER than it sounds), bread, salad, etc.

 

Following the meal, a group of us went out to walk down the Bayside, a touristy Boardwalk at the Beach kind of development that was maybe two blocks from the hotel. I need to go back tomorrow to take pictures of Lombardi's Conga Bar, Lombardi's Ristorante, and Lombardi's Oyster Bar. We bypassed the mini-Lombardi village and opted instead for the first place we came to with half price drinks, wicker furniture, and a view of the water.  All in all, a great start to the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment